"Here are some ideas for how to set your body clock to "awake" without the shock of sudden activity that rattles the stress system:
- Wake up to music rather than an alarm.
- Don’t get up right away. While breathing deeply, loosen up and stretch your limbs out, from your fingers to your toes. Pretend you’re a cat waking up from a nap.
- Think of the most positive thing you’ll be doing that day.
- Get out of bed slowly. Ease into it.
- Turn on more and more lights as you go through your routine, until every light you see is on.
- If weather permits, step outside for a minute. Sunshine is one of the strongest ways to tell your body to wake up.
- Do 3-5 minutes of easy activity. Emphasis on easy.
- Eat breakfast! Foods low in fat and high in protein, fiber and carbs provide energy that lasts a long time. Try yogurt, fruit, whole wheat breads, and skim milk.”